Sunday, March 28, 2010

Working on the dome again

I'm working on Goldie's ole noggen again, trying to get him ready for StarWars Celebration 5. Only less than 5 months to go, ick!
Today we got the guide lines drawn out for the radar eye and the stripes. Ignore the dirtyness of the dome. :)

Here is the front piece of the radar eye cut out from the extra outer styrene dome I bought.

And we also got the hole for the PSI cut out, and:

the back PSI and logic cut out too. Still rough looking, so I'll be doing some more cleaning up on that.

That's it for now!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Small update

Just a small update of some of the things we've done in the last few days...
We used a dremel to cut out the holes for the vents, *very nerveracking*, and
I added 2 pieces to the frame for support (the 2 vertical pieces closest to each side of the vent area), and made 2 notches in the vertical pieces for the data port to fit.

We altered the frame again for the vent to fit in as you can see.

And after much sanding we got the vents to fit in!
Picture of vent, still not finished of course, but will be soon!

(close up of vent)

And below is the glue we used to glue the vent inserts to the vent surround. (TesTors cement for plastic models)

More leg progress:

Totally not related, but anyway,
Here is my dad's (Calvin) light up movie poster finally finished and mounted on the wall:

Monday, March 15, 2010

Megacon 2010

Here is our Southern R2 Builders set up.

More pictures will be posted soon at my Facebook account, which can be found at the right side of my blog.

Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm back!

And we mananged to get a few things done on Goldie. ;)
As you can see in the first picture, we finally got the holes cut out for the logics which took the combination of a dremel and hack saw and LOTS of sanding with a metal file my dad likes to call Mr. Bastard. lol
Also you can see in the pictures the thin ring around the dome is taped on temporarly until I can get it glued on.
My dad and me also got the dome permanantly glued onto the dome ring and got it and the bearing mounted onto the body. So now his head can move... just not by itself of course.

In this picture below, I got the back panels cut out, sanded, and glued on.

Annnd in this picture I got more body work done to make the area we patched up un-noticeable. Still got alittle more to do on it though.

Last but not least, our resin parts came in!
This is the before and after picture of the vent surrounds. We had to shorten the vents some because the Clone Wars droids have smaller vents.
The first one is the one we shortened and the second one is the one we didn't cut yet.

The logic surrounds.

More to come soon!