Sunday, September 27, 2009

More dome progress

We spent about 20-30 min. or so sanding the bottom of the dome to get the rough jaggedness off of it.
Then I cut out the ring that goes around the bottom of the dome.
We only need one ring instead of two since that's how R3 is in the CloneWars movie.
You can see the ring we'll be using better in pic. 1.

Some progress

Well, haven't been able to do much lately but, I did get a few things done this week.
I got the top round panel up on the top of the dome cut out today.
We at first had the smaller panel you saw in the last post on the dome until we noticed that the panel was actually bigger in the CloneWars movie, almost touching the other panels.
So we cut that piece out of the inner dome, which works for me because it made the inner fit ALOT better inside the outer dome.
The hole in the top circular panel will eventually be filled will glazing putty and will then be sanded.

And I also finished cutting the skins out, and got the extra styrene cut off of the ring the dome sits on.
Annnd finally the material for the frame came in this week!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Panels cut out

Dad and I finally got most of the panels cut out today with a dremel and sanded them down.
I just placed them anywhere to see what they would look like on the dome.
Dad did a good job on those, it's looks great and I haven't even painted it yet!

The last picture is what the dremel did to the extra C&D styrene dome we bought for the panels.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Giant R2D2 Brownie

I know this unrelated to building Goldie but it's gonna be awhile till my next update.
Mom cooked it about 30 min. ago. :-)

Monday, September 14, 2009

Panel guide lines

The "spider" Pixelfiend sent came in real quick! (Thank you! :))
I now have the panels drawn on it. It's off alittle by maybe a hair but, it doesn't need to be THAT perfect. And I don't think anyone'll notice either.
It may be off because some of the waves that were in the dome when I got it are still in there. Couldn't sand it all out. :(

And it turns out I had just enough Easy-Tack to get the "spider" print to stay on.
First, I had to spray the easy-tack on there to keep it from comming off of the extra styrene I had.
Then, I had to cut it out.
And after that, sand off the incorrect lines I had on the dome.
Then finally, put the spider on top, tape it down, and draw the lines on.

And I thought I wasn't going to get anything done today. HA!

(Picture of "spider" taped on the dome in the 1st pic, and picture of the guide lines drawn on in 2nd pic.)

R3 update

The extra C&D outer dome that I need to make the panels and eye with came in today!
I'm pretty much gonna follow what DroidWelder did to make the eye, panels, and the arms.
The frame material also came in today buuut, it was the wrong size! So we sent it back and now it will probably be a while till it gets here.

I got the plastic base plate for the frame cut too. (second pic)
The base is 3mm thick and about 18 inch across.

Annnnd, the can of Easy-Tack I use to keep the skins from comming off ran out, so I may not be doing much at all this week.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Skins Update!

Finished the cutting the inner skins, now I got work on the outers tommorrow.
Back inner skin in pic above.

Would of finished all of them but, I have to wait for everyone else to be done with theirs first. So I guess I have to do one a day. It ain't no rush for me since the frame material may not be here this week.

Will post pic when both outers are done!

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cutting The Skins

The polystyrene skins finally came in yesterday, and I also got the blueprints printed out at Fedex Office today.
The size of the skins are .40
So I began working on it and only got the the front inner skin cut. (would of done more but I was out all day)
I used Easy-Tack (refer to pic 2) to keep the template from comming off while I cut it.
The only part I didn't cut was the round part, I got my dad to cut that part out. Mainly because this is the first time I've ever done this.
The template is going to end up staying on there till I figure out the arms and panels because the Clones Wars droid design is a bit different from the others.

I'll be working on it tommorrow! ;)

Still waiting for the material for the frame to come in. It should be here any day now.

And for the people watching my blog and are new to this like me, TAKE YOUR TIME! Cut very slowly or else, you'll end up moving it or straying away from the line.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dome ring

We had a floral masonite ring that just happened to fit right inside the dome.
The ring added a lot of stability to the dome. Before it was pretty flexible.
Once the dome is completed we'll bond the ring in there permanantly.

And my dad cut off the excess part of the dome you see in the 1st picture. Oh and I helped hold it for him while he was cutting it of course.

I should be getting my polystyrene for the skins soon! Can't wait!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sand, sand, sand...

I spent about an hour or 2 wet sanding the styrene dome with 320 sand paper.
Since there was some waves in the dome, it took a little bit longer.
At the bottom is a picture of the dome all finished sanded.
Good thing about a polystyrene dome is that you don't have to sand as much as you would with an aluminum. :)

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dome is in!

Yay! The polystyrene C&D dome I bought got here quicker than I expected!
I've already got some of the lines on there, will do more tommorrow. And I'll get some better pictures of it too.